Maybe you’re new to the world of outbreaks and need to learn the ins and outs. Maybe you’re somewhat familiar with concepts of outbreak investigation and management, like steps in an outbreak investigation and case definitions, but we can all use a refresher, right? In either case, this course is for you! New in 2023, you can take our Outbreaks Basics online module!
Over a period of five weeks, with 2-5 hours of work per week, you will dust off foundational topics related to outbreaks and feel more prepared to apply these ideas to your work or in one of our other week-long outbreak trainings.
This 1 to 1.5 hours course introduces learners to emergency management and what it means for employees of PHAC and Health Canada. In this course, participants will learn fundamental emergency management principles and concepts as they apply in a public health context.
After completing this module, participants will be able to:
- Explain the importance of emergency management in public health
- Recognize key emergency management terms and principles
- Describe the components of the Emergency Management Continuum
- Summarize how an Incident Management System (IMS) supports public health practice in an emergency context
This course will cover:
- Emergency management fundamentals
- Prevention and mitigation